Monday, June 27, 2016

Gettin’ Crafty with Randi Dukes

Gettin’ Crafty with Randi Dukes
By O. Michele Giacomini




June 27, 2016


Are you a crafty kind of person, or someone who would like to be?  I know that the holidays can often inspire us to make things we’d never sit around and do for an average Wednesday. But sometimes we feel that urge to make...but we have no idea what to create. Well, our guest this week does...and boy are you in for a treat, because we have the one and only Randi Dukes from Dukes and Duchesses!!! (If you know her DIY site, you know what an honor this is)!


I was able to connect with Randi recently to get a head start on Fourth of July projects, and I’m so excited to share them with you this week!


Before we get started, let’s check in with Randi:


OMG: Thank you for being here with us this week Randi. As you know, I LOVE your DIY projects and your site is tremendous! Tell us about how your website was born?


RD: “I created Dukes and Duchesses as an online scrapbook of sorts and then realized that people, besides my family, were reading about the crafts and projects I was creating.  That inspired me to continue on the craft/DIY path.  I’ve always loved creative projects and writing has been a really fun outlet.”


cover shot.png


OMG: You mentioned that you’ve always loved creative projects, so how long have you been crafty/DIYer?


RD: “I’ve loved crafts and DIY projects since I was a child and during my teen years I was greatly inspired by Martha Stewart.”


OMG:  Who wasn’t inspired by her, right? She is amazing, and you have obviously been a very good “student” of hers!  Do you remember the first thing ever making?


RD: “The first thing I remember making were PILES of potholders made on a loom.  I spent a summer creating hundreds of them.  As an adult, I realized that I could think outside the box and create my own projects rather than just copy others.”


loom potholders.jpg
Example of the late great loom potholders!


OMG:  *laughing* Oh my gosh, you are giving me flashbacks of sitting at my grandma’s house doing the same thing! So glad you discovered that you were so talented and creative, because you have a lot to offer you readers/followers. Speaking of which, what do you really hope that your readers are "taking away" from your site?


RD:  “I love having the chance to pop briefly into the lives of others to inspire people to live creatively.  I hope my readers see that creative doesn’t have to be complex.”


OMG: Just one of the many things to love about you! I like that you try to make projects “do-able” for people at all skill levels.


Tell us what your all-time favorite TOP 5 DIY projects have been?


RD: “The top five projects I’ve done – that’s tough.  I love the repurposed terracotta pot table, the small space wall desk, my DIY console {that was my first major build}, my painted fabric chair, and the bench I made from a headboard.  But I have years and years of projects on my site and lots more that hold a top spot for me.”


Terracotta pot table.jpg
One of Randi’s very favorite DIY projects


OMG: I know we are going to focus on some Fourth of July projects this week, but do you have some other summer DIY projects that people should also be checking out?
     
RD: “Some of my (favorite) summer projects would be the terracotta pot table, DIY charcoal grill, & jeans pocket utensil holder.”


charcoal grill.jpgdenim.jpg
DIY Charcoal Grill & Jeans Pocket Utensil Holders


OMG: Those are some great projects too Randi!  And we could even use those for Fourth of July! Thank you for sharing those with us!


If you have any questions for Randi, please leave in the comments section below. Check out these projects by clicking on the photos above. Join us tomorrow when Randi shows us how to make really spectacular Fourth of July Glow in the Dark shirts!

No comments:

Post a Comment